Alkaline Water Benefits
Alkaline water made by home water ionizers have only been available in the U.S since the 1990's, and so that has limited the amount of studies that are available in the U.S about alkaline water benefits. Most of the research performed on the benefits of alkaline water has been conducted in Japan by Scientists and Doctors
Human Studies on the benefits of alkaline water:
Alkaline mineral water lowers bone resorption even in calcium sufficiency: alkaline mineral water and bone metabolism.
- Summary: Study examined people who were determined to get sufficient calcium from their diets to find out if calcium-rich alkaline water could reduce the rate of bone loss. The study compared alkaline water to acidic water to see if alkaline water worked better.
- Results: In calcium sufficiency, the alkaline water led to a significant decrease of PTH and of S- CTX (two important markers of bone loss). The acidic water with did not reduce bone loss.
- Limitation: This study used a calcium-rich alkaline water, your tap water may not be calcium rich. However, the reduction of bone loss markers was also shown in the study below which used ordinary tap water treated by a water ionizer to make it alkaline water that was not calcium rich. (Wynn, Krieg, and et al)
The effect of daily consumption of 2 liters of electrolyzed water for 2 months on body composition and several physiological parameters in four obese subjects: a preliminary report.
- Summary: Study examined four people who drank alkaline water made with a water ionizer for two months. The study examined two markers of bone loss: serum osteocalcin measures bone formation by osteoblasts. N-telopeptides and NTx measures bone resorption (loss) by osteoclasts.
- Results: The study showed significant reductions in bone loss markers (N-telopeptides and NTx) for all four test subjects There was no significant effect on bone formation (serum osteocalcin)
- Limitation: This was a small study, only 4 people were examined, no control group was used to compare the effect of consumption of alkaline water to plain water. (Abrabam, Flebas)
"Intake of mineral water among persons with a low urinary excretion of magnesium or calcium may decrease the blood pressures"
- Summary: A natural alkaline mineral water with a pH of 8.7 was evaluated to see if it reduced blood pressure in people with low magnesium and calcium levels.
- Results: The results of this study suggest that water borne minerals can contribute to mineral nutrition requirements. Waterborne mineral supplementation may reduce blood pressure in people with calcium and/or magnesium deficiency.
- Limitation: This study was performed on a small group (20 people) and was short term. Additional studies are needed to confirm the effect of alkaline water on blood pressure. (Rylander, R)
Laboratory Studies of alkaline water
Laboratory studies are performed in-vitro which means in a test tube, Petri dish or other container. The results of in-vitro studies are used by scientists to test theories. If an in-vitro study looks promising, then an in-vivo study, meaning in the body, is conducted to confirm the results.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Free Information on Alkaline Water-->
Fill out the form below to receive a Free DVD & Book on the benefits of drinking alkaline water.